If you are the only parent traveling with your child, don’t forget that consent letter!

I took my daughter on a girls only trip to Vancouver recently. In order to make sure the border crossing went smoothly, I downloaded a copy of a consent letter for my husband to fill out allowing me to bring her across the border. There are numerous examples of these consent letters on the internet. We got this letter notarized.  When the US Customs officer asked to see my consent letter at the border, I was glad that I took the extra time and effort to get this done before our trip.

Due to concern about international child abductions, many countries are now very strongly recommending a notarized consent letter if a child is traveling overseas without BOTH parents or even with just ONE parent present. Take time to obtain all the necessary documents for your international trip by reviewing this website: Documents for Travel.  This will save you a lot of time and trouble at the border!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s